The Red Dog Saloon
by Gisby

This kit is one of the original Arnica Real Estate kits, and as such, may no longer be available.

But they do have a NEW two-storey hotel, and it will be of equal quality and similar style.

Before I start, I must say: When building resin buildings of any sort, get a GOOD quality adhesive, whether you use cyano adhesive or epoxy. Dollar store products will not work well, and what should be a fun experience will be awful.

The kit came in 13 well-detailed resin pieces, free of bubbles and without warping. No sanding or trimming was needed. There was some roughness on the sides of the building front, but I left it, since I wanted a slightly distressed look.

The basic building consists of four walls and two roof pieces. The rest are walkway, awning, and stair pieces. The walkway and stairs need trimming, more on that later.

Before assembly, I marked the position for the second storey floor on the inside walls, and using the rear wall as a guide, marked where the roof peak would sit at the back of the front wall. I glued floor supports to the inside wall before assembling the building shell.

I then glued the four walls together, the side walls butted against the inside of the front & rear walls.

Once this was set, I used the shell to mark out two floors on a sheet of sintra. They were easily cut out with a craft knife.

I then glued the ground floor in place, raised to door level with scrap sintra This floor adds strength and rigidty to the building.

I glued an eM-4 gaming token to the centre of the upper floor as an easy-grip handle, making it easy to remove the floor for access.

A roof support was added to the rear of the front wall where I had marked it earlier and allowed to set.

I taped the roof halves together with masking tape (on the outside) and dry fitted them. When I was satisfied with the fit, I flowed glue between the halves, being sure to avoid the support and the rear wall.

Once that had set, I removed the roof, and glued the ends. I filled any gap between the halves with putty, and added bracing cut from sintra to the inside, and a stop undeneath so that it wouldn't slide toward the back once in place.

The front walkway needed to be cut to length, and the end detail cut into it with a craft knife. When glued in place, it was placed on a flat surface to set.

When you cut or sand resin take care to not create or breathe the dust. it is very bad for you. Don't leave it around where cats can walk in it, either...

The awning was assembled and allowed to set before being glued in place. It has a great weathered look, and helps with the ramshackle look that I was going for.

The rear steps are cut from sintra, with board and woodgrain detail crudely cut into them.

The external stairs were designed so they can be used on either side of a building, with tread supports on both sides. You just trim off the side you don't want, and assemble it.

Because the attachment might be fragile, I put the stair assembly on a thin plastic base that slides under the building. It's only in place when it's in use, and cannot be knocked off of the building.

Because the surface detail is so good, I chose to paint this as a weathered, bare-wood building. The awning and walkway contribute a lot to the look, as the building itself isn't really rundown in any way.

The whole building was painted grey, and heavily washed in black. It was then drybrushed with lighter greys and light tan.

The artwork for the sign was found on the internet, and printed on my computer. Because there was no clear place to attach it on the hoarding, I made a freestanding sign for the awning top using card and matchsticks. I think the slightly distressed sign goes well with the tired, weathered paint.

Overall, a great little kit. The stairs add a lot of interest, and it has a good western feel to it.